The Northern Ireland Environmental Statistics Report is an annual compendium of environmental indicators covering eight key themes: Demography & Public Opinion, Air & Climate, Water, Marine, Land, Biodiversity, Built Heritage and Waste. Northern Ireland's second State of the Environment report, "From Evidence to Opportunity", published by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) in December 2013, should be referenced for additional context.
- Northern Ireland Environmental Statistics Report 2014 (.pdf 2.1MB) published 06/03/2014
- Northern Ireland Environmental Statistics Report 2014 Appendix (.xlsx 1.5MB) published 06/03/2014
- Report of findings on the NI Environmental Statistics Report User Survey 2012 (.pdf 103KB) published 26/11/2012
- Report of the “Getting the Most from Data” State of the Environment Reporting Stakeholder Workshop (.pdf 302KB) published 15/11/2012
Previous editions back to 2009 are available from the publications archive.
This report provides both summary and detailed figures on the amount of local authority collected municipal waste in Northern Ireland in the latest reporting year, as well as trend data over the last number of years. The data is broken down by waste management groups and district councils.
- NI Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics Annual Report 2013-14 (.pdf 877KB) published 27/11/2014
- NI Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics Annual Report 2013-14 Appendix (.xls 1.1MB) published 27/11/2014
- NI Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics 2013-14 Infographic (.pdf 391KB) published 27/11/2014
- NI Waste Statistics User Engagement Report (.pdf 190KB) published 18/08/2014
Previous editions back to 2009/10 are available from the publications archive.
The Northern Ireland Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics is a quarterly report which contains summary information on the key measurements of local authority collected municipal waste, for the twenty-six district councils and three waste management groups in Northern Ireland.
April to June 2014
- NI Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics April to June 2014 (.pdf 1.1MB) published 23/10/2014
- April-June 2014 Appendix (.xls 257KB) published 23/10/2014
- April to June 2014 Infographic (.pdf 310KB) published 23/10/2014
January to March 2014
- NI Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics January to March 2014 (.pdf 628KB) published 24/07/2014
- January-March 2014 Appendix (.xls, 273KB) published 24/07/2014
October to December 2013
- NI Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics October to December 2013 (.pdf 623KB) published 24/04/2014
- October-December 2013 Appendix (.xls 252KB) published 24/04/2014
July to September 2013
- NI Local Authority Collected Municipal Waste Management Statistics July to September 2013 (.pdf 624KB) published 23/01/2014
- July-September 2013 Appendix (.xls 227KB) published 23/01/2014
Note: A slight amendment has been made to Figure 9 in this report. Figure 9 had been displaying year-to-date data as opposed to data relating only to the July to September 2013 quarter. Figure 9 in the report was amended at 11:00 on 23/01/14 to present only data for the July to September 2013 quarter, so any downloads of the report taken between 9.30 and 11.00 on 23/01/14 may have contained the chart (Figure 9) with the year-to-date data. This change will not have affected any tables, commentary or any of the other charts contained within the report.
Previous editions back as far as April to June 2009 are available from the publications archive.
This annual statistical bulletin provides headline figures on greenhouse gas emissions for Northern Ireland (NI), both by source sector and end-user. Detailed NI and United Kingdom (UK) emission data can be found in the annual report 'Greenhouse Gas Inventories for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland', which can be accessed through the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory website.
- Northern Ireland Greenhouse Gas Inventory 1990-2012 Statistical Bulletin (.pdf 323KB) published 10/06/2014
- National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory
Previous editions back as far as 1990-2008 are available from the publications archive.
These climate change indicators are based upon daily weather records provided by the Armagh Observatory. The temperature indicators include mean annual air temperature, mean annual minimum air temperature, mean annual maximum air temperature and the number of hot and cold days. The precipitation indicators include annual rainfall, percentage seasonal rainfall and the number of snow days. The Rivers Agency has produced Flood Maps (NI) to provide a general overview of the flood risk in Northern Ireland.
- Strategic Flood Map (NI)
- Climate Change Indicators - Temperature (.xls 244KB) published 06/06/2011
- Climate Change Indicators - Precipitation (.xls 227KB) published 06/06/2011
The Department of the Environment ran a module on public perceptions to climate change in the January 2012 Northern Ireland Omnibus survey. This report summarises people's attitudes towards climate change in Northern Ireland.
- Public Perception on Climate Change Report 2012 (.pdf 397KB) published 09/08/2012
Previous editions back as far as 2009 are available from the publications archive.
This statistical report brings together a range of indicators which can be used to monitor progress towards achieving the goals for coastal sustainability within Northern Ireland. Seven goals for coastal sustainability have been identified, each underpinned by its own set of indicators. This report was commissioned by the Department of the Environment to assist in the evaluation of the Integrated Coastal Zone Management Strategy for Northern Ireland, 2006 - 2026.
- NI Coastal Zone – Indicators of Sustainable Development, 1997-2007 (.xlsx 2.7MB) published 07/10/2011
(It is recommended that this publication is viewed using Microsoft Excel 2007 or its subsequent releases, as some features are not supported by earlier versions.)
- Northern Ireland Coastal Zone - Indicators of Sustainable Development, 1997-2007 (.pdf 1.3MB) published 07/10/2011
- NI Coastal Zone Indicators of Sustainable Development, 1997-2007, User Information (.pdf 70KB) published 07/10/2011
- Northern Ireland Coastal Zone - Indicators of Sustainable Development, Press Release (.pdf 284KB) published 06/10/2011