Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB01/01/003


Extent of Listing:
Church, boundary wall, and gates.


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Banagher Presbyterian Church Glenshane Road Claudy Co. Londonderry


Townland:
Ballyhanedin






Survey 2:
A

Date of Listing:
5/25/1976

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
50/15

IG Ref:
C2610 4057





Owner Category


Church - Presbyterian

Exterior Description And Setting


A small classical style church sited close to the road from Claudy to Feeny and at its junction with the Ballyhanedin Road. Stone built it measures approximately 19 metres by 13 metres internally within the nave, has a pitched roof of natural slate, a deep gallery at the entrance end and is symmetrically composed with shallow projecting porch, bold pediments and at the rear a single storey adjunct with slated hipped roof and containing the minister’s robing room and meeting room. The nave has 5 round headed windows on each long side, set in recesses and trimmed with Dungiven ashlar stone. The recesses continue down to the chamfered plinth so that the wall under the window cill is filled with similar ashlar work. The entrance facade has two similar windows one on each side of the porch. Around the building, under the moulded eaves, a plain deep band of sandstone encompasses the four walls and a similar band likewise at the springing of the arches forming the window recesses. The keystone of each arch just touching the lower edge of the upper band. Setting: This gem of neo classical architecture is set within a walled graveyard. Around the perimeter tall mature trees contain a splendid lawn dotted with graves. The graveyard was established in 1877. A short straight avenue runs from the county road to the main entrance and there is another entrance from the side road which gives access to the adjoining community hall called the Century Hall erected in 1900. The eaves height of the projecting entrance porch corresponds to the lower band of sandstone and forms a frieze to it. Above, a confident small moulded pediment, echoing the main pediments, has a segmented headed doorway set in a recess and a short flight of five steps leading up to it. The beautifully moulded main pediment proclaims its classical style with deep-set tympanums having the datestone of 1825 inscribed on the entrance side and a circular oculus at the other end, louvred to provide ventilation to the roofspace. Two ridge ventilators provide through movement of air. Windows have cast iron frames and astragals divide them into 40 panes excluding those in the arch, all in clear glass. Three segmental headed windows articulate the gable of the single storey adjunct lighting the minister’s room and the meeting room. Between the ashlar sandstone trim the walls are built of coursed roughish stone in various course heights. Just above the hipped roof and lighting the gable behind the pulpit there is a circular window with a stone band set between the encircling ashlar courses. If there is a blemish in this church design it is here where the window does not quite fit between the stone bands. This oculus has tracery in the form of a quatrefoil with small circles between each. This window has the only decorative glass in the church. The surrounding wall to the west, south, (road) and east is of rubble sandstone.The gate to the south (avenue) entrance is original and of cast iron. The wall and entrance giving access to the car park along the north eastern boundary is of recent construction. The church and grounds are in good order and repair at present.

Architects


Suitor, Richard

Historical Information


Congregation established in 1753. Present church completed in 1825 having taken 3 years to complete. Entire expense met by the Fishmonger’s Company. Architect Richard Suitor of London. Cost £2,200. Gallery added 1860 included internal panelled porch and stairway cost £163 met by Fishmonger’s Company. Graveyard acquired from Fishmonger’s Company in 1877 . Church renovated in 1904 and new pews installed in nave. The original were similar to those in the gallery. Organ installed in 1930 as a two manual pipe organ and at the same time a hydro-electric scheme installed to provide power. References: Primary Sources: OS Map 1st Edition 1830 Londonderry sheet 23, Secondary Sources: JS Curl 'The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914' Rev Hunter 'Banagher Presbyterian Church Historical Notes ' Published by congregation 1990.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior

Historic Interest

V. Historical Association/Authorship W. National/International Interest X. Local Interest Y. Social Importance



Evaluation


A handsome neo-classical beautifully detailed church with a most urbane atmosphere.

General Comments




Date of Survey


Thursday, August 28, 1997