Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB06/05/013 A


Extent of Listing:
House and walling enclosing open area at north end.


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
The Brewhouse and walling Red Hall Ballycarry Larne Co Antrim BT38 9JL


Townland:
Redhall






Survey 2:
A

Date of Listing:
2/27/1989

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
House

Former Use
Estate Related Structures

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
Yes

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
84/10

IG Ref:
J4500 9500





Owner Category


Private

Exterior Description And Setting


A large two-storey building of rectangular plan with a hipped roof, attached to the north-east corner of Red Hall House, and formerly used as its servants’ wing. Main entrance faces east. East front comprises a long two-storey building eight windows wide, with a small single-storey porch set back at the left-hand end. Walls of long block comparatively new smooth cement render, with rusticated quoins in older render at each extremity. Roof hipped, with Bangor Blue slates in regular courses; tiled ridges; modern flush rooflight near centre. Two chimneys, symmetrically positioned: smooth rendered with swept caps on moulded cornices and brackets; offset to base; four pots to each chimney, cream coloured stoneware of square section. Cast iron gutter and two full height cast iron downpipes; one PVC downpipe to one-storey height in centre; various small bore PVC pipes connecting with left-hand drainpipe. Windows to ground floor are rectangular timber sliding sash, vertically hung, mainly 6 over 6, with exceptions here noted, and mainly without horns, with exceptions here noted, set in plain unmoulded reveals with cills mainly of sandstone. First window to left is shortened, 3 over 3, with horns, with timber board at top and smooth cement render at bottom to fill rest of opening; fifth window from left is shortened, 2 over 2, with horns, occupying top of opening only, the space below blocked with smooth cement render; sixth window has horns. First floor windows are rectangular timber sliding sash, vertically hung, all 6 over 3, with horns except first two from left. At fifth window from left, level of windows steps down on both floors. At right-hand end of main block a low boulder stone wall borders a sunken area opening leading down to a segmental-brick arched culvert, which is raised slightly above level of garden, and is overgrown. Porch has channelled rustication to walls; hipped roof, slated as previous, with terracotta tiles to ridge. Cast iron gutter. Front contains rectangular timber door in varnished pine, herringbone pattern; sandstone step. South elevation comprises blank end wall of main block with porch projecting forwards to left: porch rusticated as entrance front; contains one window, rectangular timber sliding sash, vertically hung, 6 over 3, with horns; sandstone cill; cast iron gutter and downpipe to left-hand corner in angle with Red Hall House. Area across front of main block and porch is grassed, with small clumps of flowers. West elevation asymmetrical except for positioning of the two chimneys. Roof of Bangor Blue slates in regular courses; tiled ridges. Cast iron gutter and downpipes. Walls smooth cement rendered with projecting rendered plinth and platband to eaves. Rusticated smooth rendered quoins to left-hand extremity, with smooth rendered screen wall to yard projecting forward up to storey height. Openings are irregularly spaced and to different heights. Six windows to first floor, all of similar size: rectangular timber sliding sash, vertically hung, 12 over 12, with horns; projecting cills look like stone. One dormer window rectangular timber fixed light, six-pane; timber checks and lead covered roof. Two doorways to ground floor; previously four, but two partly blocked up to form windows. Door to left: rectangular ledged timber set in chamfered rendered surround incorporating keystone in render. Doorway to right of that has modern glazed flush wooden door set in similar surround. Four windows to ground floor, two set in partly blocked up doorways including similar surrounds; the one between the two doors timber sliding sash, vertically hung, 6 over 3, with horns, the other a pair of timber side-hung casements of two lights each. Two other windows are sashed, 6 over 3, without horns, set like first floor windows in unmoulded recesses. North elevation is blank end wall of main block, rendered as previous with quoins to extremities. Projecting forward at right-hand side is a curved screen wall of one-storey height, smooth cement rendered to outer face, and bearing traces of red colouring, with plain concrete coping; screen wall terminates at left-hand side with a large square pier, smooth cement rendered but damaged in places to reveal original brickwork construction; moulded cap with ball finial. Entrance archway returns from pier back to north wall of main block. Entrance archway comprises segmental arched opening with blackstone voussoirs bearing traces of red paint, surmounted by a swept up parapet with ball finial; face of archway and screen to each side rendered but in poor condition. Within screened area cast iron gutter and downpipe to right-hand side of north wall; iron framework to former porch (but opening now closed up) projects forward, incorporating a circular cast iron pillar; stone steps, overgrown. Inner face of curved screen wall is rubble very roughly rendered; inner surface of archway screen is similar, with brickwork arch and reveals to opening. Setting: the Brewhouse faces onto a grassy garden to the east and into a hard surfaced yard to the west. The yard to the west is entered by a screen wall connecting with the building at the north-west corner: wall is tall, of single-storey height and comprises a pair of large rendered piers with moulded bases, courses and ball finials, marking a vehicular entrance now missing gates; a pedestrian archway connects gateway with the building; segmental arch with plain moulded surround and projecting keystone, all in smooth render, bearing traces of red paint; short length of screen wall, similar, to right of gateway, terminating in a square pier with damaged cap and ball finial missing. Inner faces of gatescreen and walling smooth rendered and bearing traces of red paint.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


Built as the servants’ wing for Red Hall and until recently connected to it by a doorway at the south-west corner. Appears on OS map of 1831, when it had a central return to the east; central return still present on OS map of 1858, but missing thereafter. Traditionally referred to as the brewhouse among the present owner’s family and predecessors but not identified as such in records or maps. Converted for use as a house c 1970. It stands within the area of a scheduled monument, no. ANT 47:4. Dates from the period of the Ker family but whether a late work for R.G. Ker or for his nephew David S. Kerr who succeeded him in 1822 is not known. There is virtually no specific reference to it in any of the published sources on Red Hall, but they may be listed here as general background. References - Primary Sources 1. OS Map 1831, Co Antrim 47. 2. OS Map 1858, Co Antrim 47. 3. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland: Parishes of County Antrim X, Vol 26 (Belfast, 1994), pp 85-86, 94, 96-97, 127: [p 94: “The offices are not extensive”]. Secondary Sources 1. J. Richardson, The Parish of Templecorran and Islandmagee, ND [1937], pp 20-21. 2. D.A. Chart, Ed., Preliminary Survey of the Ancient Monuments of Northern Ireland (HMSO, Belfast, 1940), pp 38-39. 3. A. Dowlin, Ballycarry in Olden Days (Belfast, 1963), pp 23-24. 5. M. Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses, Volume 1: Ireland (London, 1978), p 241. 6. C.E. Brett, Buildings of County Antrim (UAHS, Belfast, 1996), pp 76-77. 7. Typescript notes on ‘Broadisland and Templecorran’ compiled by J. O’N. McClintock.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

W. National/International Interest



Evaluation


This is a building in a classical style displaying a distinctly proportioned overall form together with a modest element of ornamentation in its use of rustications and quoins, although some alterations to windows and doors detract from its appearance in detail. It is enhanced by its very fine setting at the centre of an unspoiled estate, and together with the other estate buildings it forms part of an important group. It is of local interest as being part of a large country estate, but also may be considered to be of national interest by virtue of being formerly an integral part of, and still being physically attached to a very important country house which has origins in the 17th century at least and to whose historical development this building still contributes.

General Comments




Date of Survey


Wednesday, August 12, 1998