Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:
HB09/06/024 C

Extent of Listing:
Barn, garden wall

Date of Construction:
1650 - 1699

Address :
The Barn at Springhill Springhill Road Moneymore Magherafelt Co Londonderry BT45 7NQ


Survey 2:

Date of Listing:

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Farm Buildings

Former Use
Farm Buildings

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
H8682 8287

Owner Category


Exterior Description And Setting

A large 1½ storey barn, gabled, slated and part of a well ordered layout of farm buildings. The N E elevation looking up the farmyard has a large central 3 centre arch entrance with timber sheeted ledged and braced doors with a fanlight infill of vertical sheeting. To the left a single vertical 2 pane double hung sliding sash window to the ground floor and at 1st floor under the eaves a 2 light casement. Wall constructed of random rubble stonework, with redbrick trim to windows and brick arch to doorway. Natural slated roof, gabled with bellcote at S E gable. S E gable has a single door at GF with heavy frame and sheeted door, strap hinges and timber lintol. Above at 1st floor a similar door and at gable apex a bellcote in ashlar sandstone with round arched opening, flat base, square and resembles a miniature triumphal arch. A small bell with pull rope. Wall built of random rubble stone and smeared with mortar. Slight slate overhang at gables. The long S W wall overlooks a walled enclosed garden, no windows but a series of narrow ventilation slits to ground floor. Wall built of random rubble stone and a good deal of it covered by climbing plants including the McCartney rose bush, rosa brackeata. In the corner towards the S E, a small covered garden seat area, faceted slated roof, hipped, supported on 4 chamfered timber posts resting on ground padstones. Wall within gazebo faced with small sea shells. The N E gable has 4 no. narrow ventilation slits at ground floor, centred above a round arched 9 pane window and in gable apex a small vertical opening, shuttered. Wall built of rubble stone with brick trim to window. Above arched window a long timber tie beam. The barn is close by the vehicular entrance to the farmyard, which is at the NE extremity of the outbuildings layout and forms the 4th and S E side of it. The enclosed garden to the S E bound by random rubble head height walls. That wall to the N E has the tip of a brick trimmed arch appearing just above the ground, possibly arched over a drain or race.


Not Known

Historical Information

A plaque on the interior barn wall states structure built c1690 and repaired 1990. The barn is contemporary with the late 17th cent. house and it is assumed that the adjacent enclosed garden walls are of the same vintage. The estate became the property of the N.T. in 1957. See HB09/06/024B. References Primary Sources 1. O.S. Map 1832 Londonderry sh. 46 2. Mid Ulster Houses N.T. p. 28. 3. U.J.A. 3rd Series Vol. 1 (1938) p. 81-83. 4. Notes, 1st Survey, E.H.S. Hill Street, Belfast

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form F. Structural System I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Z. Rarity


A good example of late 17th cent. barn wall and roof construction, part of a country house estate outbuildings, well preserved and part of a carefully laid out group of buildings.

General Comments

This building was recorded under HB09/06/026 in the first survey.

Date of Survey

Friday, November 17, 2000