Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB16/13/001A


Extent of Listing:
Building, gate piers and screen, garden terrace wall


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Killevy Castle Ballintemple Road Meigh Killeavy NEWRY Co. Armagh BT35 8LQ


Townland:
Clonlum






Survey 2:
A

Date of Listing:
5/28/1976

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Country House

Former Use
Country House

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
276/5

IG Ref:
J0396 2051





Owner Category


Private

Exterior Description And Setting


An impressive mid 19thC two storey (+ basement/ attic) Tudoresque crenellated house with later tower additions to each corner. It is picturesquely set at the foot of Slieve Gullion within a mature planted demesne. It is accessed from the road by a granite gate screen (see later) leading to a tree-lined serpentine drive which runs in an easterly direction to a walled garden, where it continues NW past the stable block and farmyard (HB16/13/001B) finally reaching the castle at its W elevation. Castle is set on an elevated platform with tumbling gardens to front below accessed by a circular tower terminating right-end of a granite boundary wall (see later). Castle is aligned N-S and principal elevation faces E. It is constructed in granite throughout, laid in varying courses with castellated towers to each corner - all are square in section and similarly detailed, apart from that to NW, which is a tall and circular, rising above the others. The first floor of the E elevation is set back from ground floor creating a balcony accessed by a t+g door from each tower. All windows are sliding sashes with granite cills unless otherwise stated. Hipped natural slate roof with two granite chimneys set perpendicular to ridge and disguised by the castellated parapet of entrance bay (see later). Set between the chimneys on the roof ridge is a glazed dormer with pitched natural slate roof. Rainwater goods are concealed behind the parapet and downpipes are cast-iron with moulded hoppers. Front E Elevation E elevation is three bays wide and symmetrical, abutted to each end by a tower. Facade consists of a tall central canted bay flanked by two identical bays. The castellated canted bay is two-staged with moulded platband between each stage and rises above the parapet level of each bay. Stage 1 contains the full height entrance, which is flanked by diagonal buttresses - each with two granite offsets - which rise to a moulded platband. Timber studded entrance door is perpendicular in style with cusped panels and a Tudor arched head. Set below centre is a panel with three quatrefoil insets; that to centre contains a carved timber monkey’s head door pull. Aligned above this panel are three small and narrow round-headed panels - that to centre is a letterbox. Door is set within a pole-moulded stucco surround with colonnettes (with moulded bases) which rise to a plain frieze supported on three heavy moulded brackets. Entrance is accessed by four granite steps enclosed to either side by a rubble stone dwarf wall with dressed granite copings and terminating in square-in-section piers with a chamfered base course and pyramidal caps. Left and right faces of canted bay each have a timber 4/8 mullion and transom window with slightly splayed painted reveals and stone label mould. Below each window, set into ground and lighting basement, is a cast-iron grille. Basement is accessed by a servant’s tunnel from the gardens to front. Stage 2: Above entrance door is a flat headed projecting section inset with three narrow round-headed lattice glazed windows and supporting a moulded entablature with plain frieze. Above is the Foxall family crest, inscribed ‘Faire sans Dire’. Right and left faces of canted bay each have a 2/2 (horizontally divided) sliding sash window with label mould. Above each is a moulded roundel. Cills are the moulded platband, which separates each stage. Canted bay is crowned by a castellated parapet, which extends back to roof ridge concealing chimneys. Each flanking bay is identical and terminated by a tower (see later). At centre of ground floor is a window set within a large recessed Tudor-arched opening with moulded stucco hood mould. Window is a 6/6 sash window set behind a timber mullion and transom frame (top section has six vertical divisions) with painted cill and architrave. There is an external metal security grille affixed to each. Sidewalls of recess are lined-rendered and painted. That to the right has a small door with 4/2 cusped panels into tower. Flanking recessed opening are tall arrow-loop windows with painted lattice glazing. First floor has a 3/9 timber mullion and transom window. The top three panels have cusped insets. Left (SE) Tower: There is an arrow-loop window to all three exposed faces of ground floor. E face has smaller staggered arrow loop windows between each floor. All windows to the towers are as this unless otherwise stated. S face has a mullion window opening with lattice glazing and slate cill at first floor level. W face is abutted at basement level by a lean-to entrance porch (see later) and has a window to first floor. The inner N cheek has a t+g door leading onto balcony. Right (NE) Tower: E face has window to ground floor and remains of a mullion and transom window with lattice glazing to first floor. N face has staggered point-headed window openings, diminishing in height, to each floor. W face has a window to basement and ground floor. The inner S cheek has a t+g door leading onto balcony. S Elevation This elevation is abutted by a tower to either end. The exposed basement level is cement rendered and the ground floor is wet-dashed and lined – remaining walls are as façade. Between ground and first floor is a granite platband. In angle of each tower at first floor level is a crenellated tourelle; each with corbelled base and single narrow window to centre (that to right is boarded). Basement is abutted to right by a whitewashed brick lean-to entrance porch with natural slate roof. Its right cheek has a cast-iron lattice framed window. W face has a t+g door, which is accessed by a number of winding concrete steps. Basement level has two 4/4 sliding sash windows with security grilles. Aligned above to ground floor are two windows - as those to recessed openings on façade. First floor has three arrow-loop windows; that to centre is infilled. Rear W Elevation W elevation has a central bowed bay, and is abutted by a tower to either end, that to left is circular (see later). Basement and ground floor levels are cement rendered; remaining walls are as façade. Between ground and first floor is a platband. Bow has a slate course between ground and first floor and a semi-conical natural slate roof with lead flashings. It has three windows to basement and ground floor level; all are sliding sashes with cast-iron grilles. Those to basement are 3/6 and those to ground floor are 9/9. First floor level has three arrow loop windows to centre (that at centre is lattice glazed; that to either side is infilled), and 2/4 mullion and transom window to each side. To left of bow, basement has a t+g sheeted door with transom and metal hood over. To its right is a 6/3 sliding sash with security grille. Basement to right is infilled and is enclosed by a rubble stone wall with castellated copings. Ground floor has no openings. First floor has two 2/2 (horizontally divided) sliding sash windows – one to either side of bow. Right (SW) tower: N face is abutted by a narrow, full-height return, which rises to eaves level of the house. It has a monopitched natural slate roof and small infilled first floor window to W; the N cheek of this section is blank, the E cheek abuts W elevation of house. W face of tower has a timber mullion 1x3 fixed pane window to first floor. S face of tower has an arrow loop window to ground floor and small staggered openings to upper levels. E face has an infilled doorway to basement. Above to ground floor is an arrow loop – the platband to S elevation forms its cill. There is a small window opening to first floor level. Left (NW) tower: This tower is circular and is the tallest component of the building. It has two plat bands - one between basement and ground floor levels and the other below the crenellated parapet. Between each floor are several small staggered openings. Basement level has an arrow loop with lattice glazing to E face and a metal fixed pane lattice window to NW face. Ground floor has three arrow loop windows, all with slate cills resting on the platband. First floor has a small point-headed window with lattice glazing and a smooth rendered surround to its N face, and a group of four timber mullion windows to SW. Second floor has a 2/4 fixed timber window to SW. Third floor has a pair of lattice-glazed mullion windows to SW, and a similar group of three to NE. N Elevation Basement and ground floor are lined and rendered. There is a platband between ground and first floor. Each floor has two equally aligned windows. Those to basement are 6/6 sliding sashes with cast-iron grilles. Ground floor windows are 4/8 timber mullion and transom. Those to first floor are similarly detailed, but 2/6 with cusped inset to top panels. Setting: The demesne is accessed by a granite gate-screen to the Ballintemple Road. It consists of four gate piers – two to each end and two to centre with moulded copings and shallow pyramidal caps and an elongated panel to front face. Gate piers to centre support a pair of wrought iron gates. Wall is constructed in dressed granite blocks with chamfered copings; it is terminated to each end by a rubble stone wall with embattled stone copings. To SE of the castle is a walled garden roughly triangular in shape, narrowing to the SE end. All walls are random rubble with access from the NW. To centre of SE wall is a small roofless single storey garden house. Its NW face has a central door opening with a small window opening to either side. Left and right cheeks are blank. To front of the castle is a granite rubble wall with embattled copings. It is terminated to each end by a crenellated round tower with staggered window openings. That to right contains a spiral stone stair leading to the front garden. Flanking the central section of the wall is a pair of square-in-section towers with rendered point-headed caps. Below the terrace, the front garden falls to an ornamental canal, which appears to be the remains, or a remodelling, of a small lake shown on the OS 2nd edition map, suggesting that the castle was set in a designed landscape which changed over time and is now in a neglected state.

Architects


Papworth, George

Historical Information


Formerly known as Killevy Lodge, residence of the Foxall family (family vault situated at nearby St. Lukes Church, HB16/13/007). In 1836, the owner, Newry banker Mr Powell Foxhall, commissioned Dublin architect George Papworth to enlarge his modestly scaled farmhouse. The 1837 OS memoirs remark “Killevy Lodge, the residence of John Foxall Esq. is situated in the townland of Clonlum. It stands on the eastern base of Slieve Gullion and is built with considerable taste in castellated style. It was completed during the present year.” In 1852 the castle was offered for sale by auction; however a buyer was not found and subsequently some of the demesne was sold. By 1881 the castle was in the possession of the Bell family; henceforth it has become known locally as ‘Bell’s Castle’. Between 1862-89 its valuation fluctuated – it was valued at £22, £60, £30, £40, £60, £10 and £7. These figures suggest that perhaps the building was damaged by fire, partially vacant or divided up. There were formerly two gate lodges, both have now been demolished, however paintings of these can be seen in the Armagh Museum. Primary Sources 1. First edition OS 6" map, Co Armagh sheet 29, 1835. 2. Second edition OS 6” map Co. Armagh sheet 29, 1861. 3. Second Valuation book, c.1862 PRONI - VAL 2B/2/37F, p.12, VAL 2B/15/17A, p.66, VAL 2B/15/17B, p.88. Secondary Sources 1. C.E.B. Brett, 1999, Buildings of County Armagh, p.103 (Belfast: UAHS). 2. J.A.K Dean, 1994, The Gate Lodges of Ulster – A Gazetteer p39 (Belfast: UAHS).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest V. Historical Association/Authorship



Evaluation


An impressive mid 19thC granite Tudoresque crenellated house transformed by George Papworth of Dublin. It is picturesquely set at the foot of Slieve Gullion within a maturely planted demesne. Along with its substantial farmyard (HB16/13/001A), towered wall, gate screen, and walled garden it forms an important group of buildings.

General Comments




Date of Survey


Friday, June 16, 2000