Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB12/01/001 A


Extent of Listing:
Building, gates and gatescreen.


Date of Construction:
1740 - 1759


Address :
Knockballymore Magheraveely Enniskillen Co Fermanagh BT94 4PY


Townland:
Lislea






Survey 2:
A

Date of Listing:
3/2/1978

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
House

Former Use
House

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
262/6

IG Ref:
H4808 2717





Owner Category


Private

Exterior Description And Setting


A mid 18thC symmetrical double-pile/ two bay (left bay is wider) / two-and-a-half storey (+basement) house with stable-yard (HB12/01/001B), accessed from the road by a long serpentine driveway. It is aligned N-S and set within extensive grounds to the S of Lislea Townland. Hipped natural slate roof with a shallow pediment rising from eaves level at centre. There are three tall cement rendered chimneys; one at either end of S pitch and one (wider) at centre of N pitch. Corbelled moulded stone eaves and moulded cornice to pediment. Half-round metal rainwater goods. Walls are wet-dashed with stepped V-jointed stone quoins (basement is lined and cement-rendered to façade only). All dressings and cills are stone. There is a platband at floor level of each storey (that to ground floor is chamfered, that to first floor is flush, that to second floor is moulded). All windows are timber sliding sashes with horns (those to basement have cast-iron security grilles). Principal elevation faces E. To centre is a large twelve panelled timber door with semicircular spider-web fanlight over, all set in a keyblocked Gibbsian surround and accessed by six stone steps (enclosed by modern metal railings). To either side are two 6/6 windows. First floor has five 6/3 windows aligned above ground floor openings. Second floor is blank to façade but for a small Diocletian window set into pediment. Basement has two semi-elliptical headed 6/3 windows to either side. S elevation has a 4/4 window set at extreme right end and to left of centre at ground floor. There is a blind window to left end. First floor has a 4/2 window set at left end and at right of centre. There is a blind window to right end. Second floor has four 2/2 windows; one to either end and one to either side of centre. Basement is enclosed. Rear elevation has basement at ground level. All openings at this level have semi-elliptical heads. To centre is a double-leaf timber door (each leaf consisting of a single panel to bottom and a narrow 2x2 glazed upper section). There are two 6/3 windows to either side. Aligned above, each floor has five windows (those to ground floor are 6/6, those to upper floors are 6/3). N elevation is abutted by a return to left end. Due to the topography it is one storey (over basement) to E, falling to three storeys at W (see later). Exposed section has a 4/4 window to right end of ground floor. Second floor has four 2/2 windows (placed as those to S elevation). The return has a pitched natural slate roof and rubble-stone walls with the vestiges of lime-render. All openings have brick reveals and jack-arches. E elevation has a 6/6 window to ground floor and a small semi-elliptical window to basement (at ground level). N elevation is abutted by the lower stable-block. Exposed section is cement-rendered and blank. W elevation has a pair of 2x3 timber side-hung casements to lower level set in a stepped stone reveal and with cast-iron security grille over. Central level has a t+g sheeted door to left and a 2/2 window to right. Upper floor has two 2/2 windows. There is a metal fire escape affixed to both the W elevation of the return and the exposed section of the N elevation. Setting: The house is set within attractive grounds on the NE shore of Knockballymore Lough and is well concealed by extensive woodlands. It is fronted by a large forecourt and sloping lawn, which is bisected by a long serpentine driveway. To rear is a tiered garden and abutting the house at N is the stable-yard (HB12/01/003). The driveway is accessed from the road by a pair of decorative wrought-iron gates supported on similarly detailed gate piers. Opposite is a small orchard containing the remains of an octagonal garden house (HB12/01/001C).

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


Erected by the Earl of Erne for his agent about 1740 (and certainly before 1764). Cited as Knockballymore in all editions of the OS 6” maps. Occupied by John Hamilton in 1840, and by Rev Alexander Nixon in 1860. Primary sources: 1. OS maps, 1st edition, 1834, Co Fermanagh 40. 2. First valuation book, 1840 (PRONI VAL 1B/48, p.45). 3. OS maps, 2nd edition, 1857 Co Fermanagh 40. 4. Published second valuation book, 1862 (compiled 1860). 5. OS maps, 3rd edition, 1907 Co Fermanagh 40. Secondary sources: 1. A. Rowan, ‘North West Ulster’ (Harmondsworth 1979), p.338.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest



Evaluation


An impressive mid 18thC house of elegant proportions and handsome detailing, beautifully set within its own grounds on the NE shore of Knockballymore Lough. The house has been faithfully restored by its present owners and, in addition to its external integrity, retains a considerable number of original internal features. Along with the original stable-yard (HB12/01/001B) and the nearby octagonal garden house (HB12/01/001C), the building and its associated structures constitute an interesting and important example of mid-Georgian architecture, here associated with the Earl of Erne.

General Comments


This record was previously numbered HB12/01/001.

Date of Survey


Monday, October 23, 2000