Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB20/12/018 P


Extent of Listing:
Mausoleum and gatescreen


Date of Construction:
1780 - 1799


Address :
Templeton Mausoleum Castle Upton Antrim Road Templepatrick Co Antrim


Townland:
Templepatrick






Survey 2:
A

Date of Listing:
11/29/1974

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Mausoleum

Former Use
Mausoleum

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
113-1

IG Ref:
J8557 8590





Owner Category


Heritage

Exterior Description And Setting


Freestanding double-height neo-classical stone mausoleum built to designs by Robert Adam and erected by the Hon. Sarah Upton to the Right Honourable Arthur Upton in 1789. It is situated within the graveyard of the Castle Upton Estate, Templepatrick. The mausoleum is rectangular in plan with pyramidal ashlar roof with central square cap stone; ashlar walls on random rubble uncoursed plinth with dressed plinth coping, dentil cornice and rusticated projecting central bay to front (south) façade. The centre of the fluted frieze and architrave to the eave-level Ionic-entablature is interrupted to all elevations by plain panels. Entrance is at south and is contained within central V-jointed rusticated block breakfront. Opening is round-arched with moulded-and-fluted imposts. Entablature panel to breakfront inset with marble and inscribed: “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF THE RIGHT HONOURABLE ARTHUR UPTON.” Breakfront entablature surmounted by attic-course of one central acroter flanked by two acroteria, supporting square urns; central acroter is embossed to centre with patera flanked by two swags supporting vase-shaped urn. The flanking bays of the principal elevation are ashlar faced above plinth. There are round-headed niches to both bays both filled with a vase-shaped urn. Plain panels are located above the niches at impost-level, surmounted by bas-relief circular medallions. The entrance has painted iron ten recessed-panelled double doors with decorative nail heads to frame-junctions. The tympanum has a radial grille with central Maltese cross. North, east and west elevations are blank. Setting The mausoleum is set within a walled graveyard with numerous memorials from the early eighteenth century. The graveyard is enclosed by random rubble stone wall, accessed by gatescreen on south side, comprising wrought iron gates at the end of a short avenue lined with mature pine trees between random rubble walls. Roof covering Pyramidal coursed ashlar roof with central square nib stone. Walling Coursed ashlar walls on random rubble uncoursed plinth with dressed plinth coping, rusticated south elevation

Architects


Wallace W.K

Historical Information


Designed by Robert Adam and erected by the Hon. Sarah Upton to the Right Honourable Arthur Upton in 1789 the Templeton Mausoleum at Castle Upton is one of the most complete examples of European neo-classicism left in Ireland. Drawings by Robert Adam survive in the Sir John Soane Museum, showing an earlier variant of the design. Adam’s original design had been for a much larger version with three decorative sides and one blank side; the building which was finally constructed was smaller and had only one decorative face. Despite these few differences the drawings closely resemble the mausoleum as it was built. The work of Robert Adam, the great Scottish exponent of neo-classicism, is hardly represented in Ireland. There were a few interiors, now gone, at Langford House in Dublin, and some fine rooms at Headfort, Co. Meath. Whilst Castle Upton was only remodelled by Adam the Mausoleum was built to his designs and truly reflects his accomplishment. In November 1962 W. Henderson Smith, owner of Castle Upton, agreed to offer to the National Trust the Templetown Mausoleum in the graveyard which lies in the grounds of the house. Lord Templetown, head of the family for whom the mausoleum was built, approved the proposal. In1963 Sir Robin Kinahan bought Castle Upton and he and Henderson Smith jointly gave the mausoleum to the Trust. The Ministry of Finance gave a grant of £2,400 as an endowment out of the Ulster Land Fund. The National Trust restored the mausoleum in 1963, at a cost of over £5,000. The mausoleum was opened to the public by Lady Coralie Kinahan in 1966. Presbyterianism has along historical association with Templepatrick and the first Presbyterian minister was Rev. Josias Welsh, the grandson of John Knox, the Scottish reformer. Rev. Josias Welsh is buried here. The mausoleum appears on the fifth edition OS map of (1931) with plan unchanged. REFERENCES Primary: PRONI OS /6/1/51//5, 5th edition OS Map, Co.Antrim, 51, 1931 Secondary: Craig, M. ‘The Architecture of Ireland’, 1982, p.322 Gallagher, L, & Rogers, D, ‘Castle, Coast and Cottage’, 1986, pp.105, 137-138 Howley, J. ‘The follies and garden buildings of Ireland’ 1993 p.180 http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/templepatrick.html

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

Z. Scarcity W. National/International Interest V. Historical Association/Authorship



Evaluation


An elegant and well constructed late eighteenth century mausoleum, a rare surviving and complete example of European neo-classicism in Ireland. Constructed in 1789 by the Hon. Sarah Upton to the Right Honourable Arthur Upton, to designs by Robert Adam, a leading architect of this era whose distinctive style of design and detailing is expressed by the neo classical style fluted dentil entablature, round-headed niches, vase-shaped urns and bas-relief circular medallions. Set within the picturesque grounds of the Castle Upton Estate the mausoleum remains unaltered; with both the external and internal fabric and original features remaining intact. The mausoleum is valuable in terms of its group value as part of the Castle Upton Estate and has strong social associations within the local context as the home place of the Upton Family, and wider national interest because of the rarity of such architectural examples in Northern Ireland.

General Comments


This record has been renumbered and was HB20/12/020.

Date of Survey


Thursday, October 09, 2008