Giant’s Causeway and Causeway Coast World Heritage Site
The Giant’s Causeway and Causeway Coast site was inscribed as a World Heritage Site (WHS) by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) in 1986.
The site is of outstanding universal value and meets two of the criteria set out in the World Heritage Convention, namely it:
- is an outstanding example representing major stages of the earth’s history, including the record of life, significant on-going geological processes in the development of landforms, or significant geomorphic or physiographic features.
- contains superlative natural phenomena or areas of exceptional natural beauty and aesthetic importance.
For more detail of why this site is officially inscribed you can read the Statement of Outstanding Universal Value or view a short video Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast World Heritage Site (which has subtitles in French).
The Site extends to approximately 70ha of land and a further 160ha of sea. It is located on the North Antrim coast within an area of a spectacular and dynamic coastal landscape designated as the Causeway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Most of the Site is in the care of the National Trust. A group of stakeholders known as the World Heritage Steering Group is responsible for the World Heritage Management and Action Plan. The Steering Group currently includes representatives from:
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency
- National Trust
- Moyle District Council
- The Crown Estate
- Causeway Coast and Glens Heritage Trust
- Northern Ireland Tourist Board
- Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside
- Geological Survey of Northern Ireland
- Causeway Coast and Glens Ltd
- Queens University, Belfast
You can download the current Management Plan for the Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast World Heritage Site 2013 - 2019 from www.giantscauseway.ccght.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013-2019-WHS-Management-Plan-Compressed.pdf
For further details of the World Heritage Steering Group, of its Management and Action Plan, please contact the World Heritage Site Project Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information on World Heritage Sites can be found on whc.unesco.org/en