Waste Management Licensing
The Waste Management Licensing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003 came into operation in December 2003. NIEA are responsible for granting licences, setting conditions on licensing activities and monitoring site to ensure compliance with licence conditions.
Under the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order, a Waste Management Licence is required to authorise the deposit, treating, keeping or disposal of controlled waste on any land, or treatment or disposal of controlled waste by means of mobile plant.
What do I need to apply for a Waste Management Licence?
- Article 8 of the Order states that a licence shall not be granted for a use of land, plant or equipment for which Planning Permission is required under the Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991, unless such planning permission is in force in relation to that use of land.
Water Discharge Consent
- Article 8 of the Order states that a licence shall not be granted for a use of land, plant or equipment for which consent under the Water Act (Northern Ireland) 1972 is required unless such consent has been granted in relation to that use of land.
Fit and Proper Person Criteria
- Article 3 of the Order states that a person shall be treated as not being a fit and proper person if it appears to the Department.
- (a) that he or another relevant person has been convicted of a prescribed offence;
- (b) that the management of the activities which are or are to be authorised by the licence are not or will not be in the hands of a technically competent person; or
- (c) that the person who holds or is to hold the licence has not made and either has no intention of making or is in no position to make financial provision adequate to discharge the obligations arising from the licence.
The Department may, if it considers it proper to do so in any particular case, treat a person as a fit and proper person notwithstanding that paragraph (a) applies in his case.
The management of the licensed activities must be in the hands of technically competent person; Technical Competence for operators of authorised waste facilities (.PDF 108Kb)
The licence holder must be in a position to make financial provision to discharge any obligations for the site e.g. in the event of site closure (this document is currently under review).
To obtain an application form and scale of Fees and Charges, please contact the licensing team on 028 90569758
- Application form (.PDF 154Kb)
- Waste Management Charging Scheme 2014-2015 (.PDF 8.79Mb)
- Waste Management Licensing Subsistence Charge - Definition (PDF 51Kb)
- Waste Management Licensing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003 Including Amendments (.PDF 664Kb)
- Mobile Plant License Application Form (PDF 531Kb)
- Mobile Plant License Working Plan Guidance (PDF 145Kb)