What is the Drinking Water Inspectorate?
The Drinking Water Inspectorate is a unit within the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA). The Inspectorate is responsible for regulating drinking water quality in Northern Ireland under the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2007/147 (as amended by SR 246 on 15 July 2009 and SR 128 on 20 April 2010); The Water Supply (Domestic Distribution Systems) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010/157; and the Private Water Supplies Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2009/413 (as amended by SR 131 on 20 April 2010).
The Drinking Water Inspectorate:
- regulates drinking water quality in Northern Ireland for public and private supplies under a Memorandum of Understanding (.PDF 270Kb) between the Department of Regional Development and the Department of the Environment;
- assesses drinking water quality against regulatory standards;
- carries out detailed inspections of water sampling and assesses water treatment, distribution policies and practice;
- publishes an annual report containing an overview of drinking water quality in Northern Ireland;
- develops policy and regulation on drinking water issues in association with other Drinking Water Regulators, working to an agreed Framework contained within a UK Memorandum of Understanding (.PDF 132Kb); and a UK and Ireland Memorandum of Understanding (.PDF 1Mb);
- deals with events which affect or could affect drinking water quality;
- liaises with the Utility Regulator to promote co-operation and the exchange of information under a Memorandum of Understanding (.PDF 1.49Mb); and
- works alongside other key stakeholders under a partnership agreement.
- has an agreement with UKAS (the United Kingdom Accreditation Service) (.PDF 944Kb) ensuring that organisations undertaking sampling or testing of drinking water are UKAS accredited.
Our annual report, 'Drinking Water Quality in Northern Ireland, 2012' (.PDF 6Mb) is now available to download. Previous drinking water quality reports dating back to 1998 are also available.
To contact the Drinking Water Inspectorate phone: 028 9056 9282 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.